Job Posting: YVR Airport Justice Organizer
The organizer for the YVR Airport Justice Organizer will be recruiting and training a worker committee to stand up for airport concessions workers through worker actions, political and community organizing. Organizers work with members and unorganized workers to build the leadership and solidarity necessary to build a progressive and strong labour union. The successful applicant we are looking for is driven, courageous, open to feedback, hard working, and a fighter with a deep commitment to social change.
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate union recruitment strategies including policies, programs, and procedures.
- Ensure union is advised of developments, potential obstacles, and other relevant activities.
- Develop and establish member training material and sessions.
- Organize and participate in meetings and demonstrations.
- Promote rank and file leadership development.
- Identify and meet with worker leaders to recruit and train them as union leaders for their particular workplace campaign, in union and non-union settings.
- Identify workplace issues, learn the relevant collective agreement language, and pursue resolution through the grievance and arbitration procedures.
- Frequently attend multiple distant locations within a short time span in order to meet with workers at their homes and other sites. Many of these locations will not be easily accessible by public transit.
1 year of experience as a labour/union organizer, rank and file union activist, and/or experience working with the student, immigrant, LGBTQ+, and/or environmental activist communities.
Contact: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume outlining relevant experience and including references to email@example.com. Only candidates meeting all requirements will be contacted for interviews.