UNITE HERE Local 40 is seeking a Campaign Researcher to conduct corporate and industry research and analysis to carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for BC’s hospitality workers. UNITE HERE Local 40 is B.C.’s hospitality workers’ union and is leading the fight to organize the unorganized and at the forefront of campaigns for workers’ rights and quality jobs.
We represent thousands of hospitality workers working in hotels, foodservice, remote resource camps, airports, and other venues across the province. We have a diverse membership that includes workers from many immigrant communities, and the majority of our members are women.
- Conduct company, industry and real estate research using a wide variety of databases and online sources, as well as field work.
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g., leadership & staff, workers, investors, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, industry representatives, customers, policy makers, and elected officials.
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, staff, and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers’ rights
- BA degree and relevant research and/or activist experience (e.g., labour, political, or community/campus activism)
- Strong analytical skills, writing, computer, and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours; some travel will be required.
- Proficient with database and word processing software
- Ability to learn quickly, work well on a team, and handle competing priorities with deadlines
- Driver’s license
UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, journalists, urban planners, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume with references, and a writing sample to [email protected]. Resumes without a cover letter or writing sample will not be considered.