On November 18, UNITE HERE Local 40 hotel workers on strike at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia voted to ratify a historic new contract in Vancouver’s hospitality industry. The vote to approve this ground-breaking contract ends the picket line outside of the hotel. The 59-day strike at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia has been the longest hotel workers’ strike in Vancouver’s history.
Rosewood hotel workers secured a wage and benefit package with record wage increases, standard-setting wage increases for cooks, higher gratuities for banquet workers and other premiums for tipped staff, and important new safety measures. The new agreement funds expansion of health care for seasonal banquet workers and Reflections restaurant staff, amid other improvements.
“We have finally won the contract we deserve. I am very proud of my co-workers for staying united and who struck, rain or shine, for eight weeks. I am also thankful to all the people who supported us and reminded us that we are not alone. We have shown this hotel and others in Vancouver that hotel workers will fight for respect and a fair workplace,” said May Tanjusay, a room attendant and union bargaining committee member from Rosewood Hotel Georgia.
The contract settlement marks the end of a series of hotel strikes in Vancouver that began in September. Rosewood workers received an outpouring of support from the community who supported strikers in weekly actions and from customers who refused to cross the picket line.
Contact: Sharan Pawa, 604-725-0053, [email protected]
UNITE HERE Local 40 is the hospitality workers’ union and represents members in the hotel, food service and airport industries throughout British Columbia. Learn more at UniteHereLocal40.org.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE Local 40, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing, in collaboration with union leadership and members, messaging and materials for effective communication with news media, the general public, union members and allies;
- Developing and leading strategic communication plans for contract, organizing and other advocacy campaigns;
- Planning and implementing earned media outreach, including pitching news stories, organizing media events, such as press conferences;
- Maintaining Local 40’s social media accounts by sourcing, writing, calendaring and publishing engaging content;
- Writing leaflets, newsletters, website- and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, social media posts and other content;
- Managing the production of internal member communications in print and on digital platforms, such as mass texting and emailing;
- Working with union members in spokesperson trainings, interviews, and participating in events and actions;
- Documenting events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the fight for workers’ rights;
- BA degree or relevant work experience, with a minimum of one-year experience working in communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of diverse backgrounds and life experiences;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need;
- Proven ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines;
- Experience using Creative Suite, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle and/or other communications software/platforms a plus.
- Drivers license.
To apply for this position: please email your resume, cover letter and a sample of your work (or a link to a website portfolio of your work) to [email protected]