UNITE HERE Local 40 is seeking a FULL-TIME PAID INTERN to conduct corporate and industry research and analysis to carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for BC’s hospitality workers. UNITE HERE Local 40 is B.C.’s hospitality workers’ union and is leading the fight to organize the unorganized and at the forefront of campaigns for workers’ rights and quality jobs.
We represent thousands of hospitality workers working in hotels, foodservice, remote resource camps, airports, and other venues across the province. We have a diverse membership that includes workers from many immigrant communities, and the majority of our members are women. We are affiliated with UNITE HERE, a progressive labour union, representing 300,000 hospitality workers across North America.
- Conduct company, industry and real estate research using a wide variety of online and offline sources
- Develop, write and present analysis to be adapted for various audiences (e.g. internal and external)
- Outreach and communication with a variety of audiences including progressive organizations, industry representatives, customers, policy makers, and elected officials
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through supporting and leading actions, as needed.
- Passion and commitment to winning social and economic justice through organizing, demonstrated through experience with progressive/activist campaigns
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours
- Proficient with database and word processing software
- Ability to learn quickly, work well on a team, and handle multiple projects and tight deadlines
- Driver’s license.
The internship requires a minimum commitment of three months. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume with references, and a writing sample to email@example.com.