Job Posting: Office Manager (Vancouver, BC)
UNITE HERE Local 40 is seeking a full-time Office Manager to manage its administrative and operational functions.
UNITE HERE Local 40 is B.C.’s hospitality workers’ union and is leading the fight to organize the unorganized and at the forefront of campaigns for workers’ rights. Our members are housekeepers, bellmen, food servers, cooks, dishwashers, bartenders and many other employees in the tourism and food service industries. Local 40 has a proud history of community involvement and a strong commitment to improving working conditions, wages, and benefits for all workers.
This is a fast-paced work environment. The ideal candidate is reliable, quick to learn, well-organized, attentive to detail, and capable of juggling multiple responsibilities.
Job Responsibilities (include but not limited to the following):
- Oversee and coordinate office administrative procedures.
- Complete multiple responsibilities on a daily basis
- Written and verbal communications with members, staff, and employers
- Organize and schedule appointments/meetings
- Assistance with coordinating special events and projects
- Book travel arrangements
- Submit and reconcile expense reports
- Answering incoming telephone calls and retrieving daily messages
- Maintain filing system
- Assist in the preparation of operating budget and maintain inventory and budgetary controls
- prepare periodic and special reports, manuals and correspondence
- Order office supplies, obtain quotes, and coordinate with suppliers
- Compile reports and prepare spreadsheets
- Provide payroll information by collecting time and attendance records.
- Assist with financials and streamline processes efficiently in a busy and fast-paced environment
- Welcome newly hired employees to the organization by conducting orientations
- Assist in overseeing daily office operations
- Other duties as assigned by union leadership
Job Requirements/Qualifications: The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 2 to 3 years experience in related field
- Passionate belief in the importance of trade unions and desire to contribute to the labour movement’s effort to create a more just and equitable society
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with ability to engage effectively and tactfully with members, staff, and employers
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of office management systems, policies, and procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g. Work and Excel); G Suite applications including Google Docs, Google Sheets and other applications; Mac & PC
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and high capacity for attention to detail
- Strong ability and comfort level with variety of technologies, including office equipment, telephones, smart phones, laptops, fax machines, and copiers.
- Proficient data entry skills
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; must work well with others
- Must be able to maneuver effectively through Excel using formulas, properly and accurately manage staff expense reimbursements, and have basic knowledge of employee provincial/federal laws
- Bookkeeping/accounting experience is preferable but not required.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks a plus.
Salary range from $60,000 to $70,000/year depending on experience.
This is not a remote or hybrid position.
Please submit a resume and references, along with a cover letter, to Michelle Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Office Manager Application” in the subject line. Please include your available start date in the cover letter. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.