Job Posting: UNITE HERE Local 40 Temporary Contract Enforcement Organizer
UNITE HERE Local 40, BC’s union for hospitality workers, is seeking an entry-level or experienced Contract Enforcement Organizer to work with members on workplace issues. Organizers work with members to build the leadership and solidarity necessary to build a progressive and strong labour union.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, representing more than 270,000 workers in the hotel and food service industries across North America. These industries employ large numbers of women, recent immigrants and people of colour. For more information on UNITE HERE, please visit www.unitehere.org
Innovative organizing campaigns, deep rank-and-file member engagement and leadership development, as well as our strong training program make UNITE HERE an exciting place to create change and build power with workers in the service industry.
UNITE HERE’s goal is to not only organize non-union workers and win campaigns, but also to train effective progressive labour leaders and organizers who can develop creative and strategic campaigns to change the economic balance of power in North America.
– Commitment to fight for justice and organize the unorganized.
– Commitment to rank and file leadership development .
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to move workers to take collective action and build power.
– Experience in a unionized environment and with grievances preferred
–Willingness to learn advanced grievance procedure work including but not limited to arbitrations, union negotiations, and Labour Board proceedings.
– Valid driver’s license and own car preferred.
– Previous experience as an organizer in the student, immigrant, LGBT, or environmental movement is valued.
This is a temporary 3 to 6-month position with possible extensions beyond that. Full time and part time options are available.
To apply for the Organizer position, please email your resume and cover letter to Mike Biskar at email@example.com.