UNITE HERE Local 40 is a progressive, movement-based labour union working to improve labour standards in the hospitality sector. Based in Vancouver, we advocate for over 50,000 union and non-union hospitality workers employed in hotels, universities, airports, and remote camps throughout British Columbia. Local 40 is an affiliate of UNITE HERE, an international labour union that represents 270,000 working people across North America. Reflecting the needs of our membership, our union is at the forefront of efforts to defend the rights of immigrants, people of colour, and women in the workplace and in the political sphere.
We seek an in-house union lawyer to join our legal team. The In-House Union Lawyer will be responsible for developing and implementing creative legal strategies to help workers organize and win better working conditions and benefits.
Local 40’s legal strategies are interwoven with and designed to support its broader efforts to organize and empower workers. The In-House Union Lawyer will work with integrated teams of organizers, researchers, and communicators to advance the Union’s campaigns for workplace justice. The In-House Union Lawyer’s primary job responsibilities will be to:
- Investigate, develop and litigate cases to vindicate the rights of workers in non-union workplaces, both in court and before administrative tribunals
- Represent the Union in enforcing worker rights won through collective bargaining, including in mediations and arbitration hearings, and assisting in the collective bargaining process
- Advise staff and leadership on campaign strategies and tactics
- Develop and advocate for municipal and provincial laws to benefit workers in such areas as improving wages, ensuring race and gender pay equity, and preventing sexual harassment and assault
- There will be a 12 month probation period
UNITE HERE Local 40 anticipates hiring counsel with 2 to 4 years of litigation experience for this position.
- Member in good standing or eligible for membership in the Law Society of British Columbia
- Excellent research, writing, analytic and speaking skills
- Ability to prepare briefs and other written materials for administrative, court, and arbitration proceedings
- Ability to present persuasive arguments in administrative, court and arbitration hearings
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage numerous ongoing cases and projects
- A creative mindset, strong initiative, and the desire to advance innovative strategies to support worker organizing
- A demonstrated commitment to civil, labour and human rights and racial justice
- Familiarity with the labour movement or workplace justice campaigns
- Experience working within immigrant communities
Please submit a resume, cover letter, a legal writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Union In-House Lawyer Position”
Open until filled.
- Salary based on experience (range $100,000 to $120,000)
- Medical, dental, STD, life insurance
- This position is confidential and excluded from membership in the staff bargaining unit.