Job Postings: Organizer and Campaign Researcher
Organizer – Vancouver
UNITE HERE Local 40, BC’s union for hospitality workers, is seeking an experienced organizer to work locally in Vancouver on aggressive campaigns. Organizers work with volunteers and unorganized workers to build the leadership and solidarity necessary to build a progressive and strong labour union.
UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, representing more than 270,000 workers in the hotel and food service industries across North America. These industries employ large numbers of women, recent immigrants and people of colour. For more information on UNITE HERE, please visit www.unitehere.org
Innovative organizing campaigns, deep rank-and-file member engagement and leadership development, as well as our strong training program make UNITE HERE an exciting place to create change and build power with workers in the service industry.
UNITE HERE’s goal is to not only organize non-union workers and win campaigns, but also to train effective progressive labour leaders and organizers who can develop creative and strategic campaigns to change the economic balance of power in North America.
– Commitment to fight for justice,
– Experience organizing workers, in particular within non-union environments,
– Experience in communication a media relation work,
– Experience in volunteer recruitment and coordination,
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to move workers to take collective action and build power.
– Ability to carry out goals and meet timelines while demonstrating a high level of proven leadership and independent judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure;
– Bilingual desired (Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, or Punjabi)
– Willingness to work long hours, nights and weekends
– Valid driver’s license and own car.
– Previous experience as an organizer in the student, immigrant, LGBT, or environmental movement is valued.
Applications open immediately. Please send a cover letter and resume. Deadline November 1st, 2021.
Salary: $50,000.00 per year
Campaign Researcher – Vancouver
UNITE HERE Local 40 is seeking a talented Campaign Researcher to conduct corporate and industry research and analysis to carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for BC’s hospitality workers. UNITE HERE Local 40 is B.C.’s hospitality workers’ union and is leading the fight to organize the unorganized and at the forefront of campaigns for workers’ rights and quality jobs.
We represent thousands of hospitality workers working in hotels, foodservice, remote resource camps, airports, and other venues across the province. We have a diverse membership that includes workers from many immigrant communities, and the majority of our members are women. We are affiliated with UNITE HERE, a progressive labour union, representing 300,000 hospitality workers across North America.
- Conduct company, industry and real estate research using a wide variety of databases and online sources, as well as field work.
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g., leadership & staff, workers, investors, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, industry representatives, customers, policy makers, and elected officials.
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, staff, and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers’ rights
- BA degree and relevant research and/or activist experience (e.g., labour, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
- Strong analytical skills, writing, computer, and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours; some travel will be required.
- Proficient with database and word processing software
- Ability to learn quickly, work well on a team, and handle competing priorities with deadlines
- Driver’s license
UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, journalists, urban planners, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume with references, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter or writing sample will not be considered.