UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE Local 40, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing, in collaboration with union leadership and members, messaging and materials for effective communication with news media, the general public, union members and allies;
- Developing and leading strategic communication plans for contract, organizing and other advocacy campaigns;
- Planning and implementing earned media outreach, including pitching news stories, organizing media events, such as press conferences;
- Maintaining Local 40’s social media accounts by sourcing, writing, calendaring and publishing engaging content;
- Writing leaflets, newsletters, website- and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, social media posts and other content;
- Managing the production of internal member communications in print and on digital platforms, such as mass texting and emailing;
- Working with union members in spokesperson trainings, interviews, and participating in events and actions;
- Documenting events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the fight for workers’ rights;
- BA degree or relevant work experience, with a minimum of one-year experience working in communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of diverse backgrounds and life experiences;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work occasional long- or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need;
- Proven ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines;
- Experience using Creative Suite, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle and/or other communications software/platforms a plus.
- Drivers license.
To apply for this position: please email your resume, cover letter and a sample of your work (or a link to a website portfolio of your work) to [email protected]