UNITE HERE is a progressive labour union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist/Digital Campaigner with UNITE HERE, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing, in collaboration with union leadership and members, messaging and materials for effective communication with news media, the general public, union members and allies;
- Designing leaflets, newsletters, website- and e-advocacy content, social media posts and other content;
- Maintaining and updating content to Local 40 websites and social media platforms;
- Helping execute the Local’s social media strategy and expand the union’s strategic use of digital communications;
- Ensuring that all communication is consistent and reflects the union’s strategic vision;
- Editing and revising all communications content as necessary;
- Documenting events and actions, including taking photos and video, and posting real-time content to social media platforms;
- Producing multi-media content for communications, such as short videos, is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the fight for workers’ rights;
- Relevant experience in graphic design, campaign communications or media relations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to meaningfully engage with and frame issues for people of diverse backgrounds and life experiences;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with Canva is a plus;
- Experience with web development, photography and/or video production desirable;
- Ability to work independently and manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines;
- Ability and willingness to work occasional long or irregular hours during times of critical campaign need.
To apply for this position: please email your resume, cover letter and a sample of your work (or a link to a website portfolio of your work) to firstname.lastname@example.org.